Monday, September 14, 2015

Blended Apple Cake

'Cookers Not Eaters' sign is to warn the kids :)

My friend John brought cooking apples from his sister's house in Clare; I immediately wanted an apple cake. I was planning one with apple pieces but then saw this recipe for a blended one at All Recipes and changed my mind.

I added cinnamon and put in spelt flour because I love its dense texture. This resulted in a fairly flat cake (despite my adding baking powder). But it made a very sweet and tasty cake, perfect for the time of year. Really delicious warm!

117 calories per slice (I cut mine into nine pieces)
Blended Apple Cake

INGREDIENTS:

50g margarine

50g caster sugar
2 eggs
60g self-raising flour
50g wholemeal spelt flour
140g cooking apples (2 medium apples)
2 tablespoons water

1tsp baking powder
1tsp ground cinnamon

METHOD:


Grease a square 8" tin. Line the bottom.

Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4.
Core and peel the apples, chop finely.
Cream the marg and sugar.
Add both eggs to the mixture.
Fold half the sieved flour, cinnamon and baking powder into the mixture.
Put the apples and water in a blender and blend for a few minutes.
Add the apple mixture to the cake mixture, and fold in the remaining flour.
Pour into the greased tin.
Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes.
Leave to cool for 30 minutes.

No comments: