|Low calorie banana bread|
Apple sauce is not a staple here in Ireland, so I made my own (ahem!) out of a peeled, finely diced apple. I cooked it on a medium heat with a little water until softened and then blended it, which didn't make it very sauce-like. But, in it went anyway.
This makes a moist, very sweet, low-sized loaf so the slices are more like bars. 106 kcals per bar. Yum!
2 mashed bananas
1 tablespoon unsweetened applesauce/or one apple made into poor applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 dash salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 large egg
2 tablespoons nonfat milk (I used soya milk)
3/4 cup spelt flour
- Preheat oven to 180°/350°F and lightly grease a 2lb loaf tin
- Place all ingredients but flour & baking powder in a large bowl and mix
- Sieve in flour and baking powder to wet ingredients
- Pour into loaf tin
- Cook for about 35 minutes - or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool before slicing