Friday, January 4, 2013

NEW YEAR, NEW YORK AVOCADO BAGEL


Happy New Year!!

I got gorgeous foodie goodies for Christmas (birdie apron, ceramic measuring spoons and book pictured), thanks to my lovely sister, friend and husband. I sat today reading Jordan and Jessica Bourke's The Guilt-free Gourmet, absolutely salivating. So I ran to the supermarket for supplies and made/adapted their delicious New York Avocado Toast.


Oh. My. God. Just delicious. And it's packed with goodness: avocado, lemon, parsley, tomatoes. OK, bagels are calorific but in my defence a) I totally WANTED one and, b) it was wholegrain. Anyway, here's how to make this gorgeous meal - it's your choice whether to use rye toast (like the Bourkes) or a bagel. I added minced garlic to one half of the mix (just to see) and that made it guacamole-like and delicious. (It depends how garlic obsessed you are whether you bother with that.) Serve with a green salad.

INGREDIENTS
2 small avocados
grated zest of 1 lemon
juice of half a lemon
1 tblsp chopped parsley
extra virgin olive oil
sea salt
8 vine cherry tomatoes
2 slices rye bread (or 2 wholegrain bagels)
1 clove garlic minced (optional)

METHOD
Zest the lemon
Juice the lemon
De-stone the avocados and mash them in a bowl
Season with half the zest and lemon juice
Mix in the parsley, a  pinch of salt and the garlic (if using)
Halve the tomatoes and season with the remaining lemon juice, zest, a little olive oil and salt
Toast the bread/bagels
Pile the avocado mix on top and serve with the tomatoes. Mmm-mmm-mmm!!!

No comments: