Wednesday, October 31, 2012

IRISH HALLOWE'EN BRACK


Happy Hallowe'en! Here is my brack recipe. The brandy really makes this cake - gives it a lovely richness. You could use whiskey or just use 210ml of tea if you don't want alcohol in the cake.



I had no ring to add to the cake this year so I wrapped a one cent coin in greaseproof paper and popped it in the centre of the brack. Traditionally, the person who finds the coin in their slice of brack will enjoy good fortune.

Eat plain or buttered with a cup of tea.

RECIPE

180ml tea
30ml brandy
250g raisins
75g brown sugar
1 beaten egg
25g melted marg
255g wholegrain spelt flour
1tsp bread soda
1 tsp mixed spice

METHOD

- Soak the fruit, sugar, brandy and tea in a bowl - leave until cold
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Grease and line the bottom of an 8" round tin
- Add the melted marg to the fruit mix. Stir through.
- Add the beaten egg. Stir through.
- Sieve then fold in the flour, bread soda and spice
- Pour into the lined tin (insert wrapped coin or ring at this point, if using)
- Bake for 55 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean
- Cool in the tin for 10 mins then turn onto a wire rack.

Hallowe'en breakfast with bat zogabongs

3 comments:

Miss_Úna said...

Now I am not a fan of Brack but I remember getting someone else to eat a slice for me when I was a kid in the hope I would get the ring or the coin.
Miss Zogabongs looks beautiful but grumpy!!

Group 8 said...

She was grumpy cos I asked her NOT to smile. I wanted a serious pic. I got humpy. Still cute though!

Kar said...

I LOVE Brack, I sulk if I don't get the prize ;-)

I wish I'd been more together to do baking, as always I admire your domestic goddess :)

Miss Zogabongs looks truly brilliant in her costume, humpy, grumpy or smiley she's still the cutest!

Happy Halloween from 'huddrick'
X