|Juno admiring the brack|
You can wrap a ring in greaseproof paper and bake it in the centre of the brack. Traditionally, the person who finds the ring in their slice of brack will be the next to marry.
Eat plain or buttered with a cup of tea.
75g brown sugar
1 beaten egg
25g melted marg
255g wholegrain spelt flour
1tsp bread soda
1 tsp mixed spice
- Soak the fruit, sugar, brandy and tea in a bowl - leave for 1 hour
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin (ready-made liners are great and no greasing needed!)
- Add the melted marg to the fruit mix. Stir through.
- Add the beaten egg. Stir through.
- Sieve then fold in the flour, bread soda and spice
- Pour into the lined tin (insert wrapped ring at this point, if using)
- Bake for 55 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean
- Cool in the tin for 10 mins then turn onto a wire rack.