Wednesday, June 15, 2011

VEGAN PRUNE AND BRANDY CAKE

Juno enjoying some cake
I have been experimenting again. I put on weight in May which is always a party month in our house with all the birthdays that fall in that month. This year we also had our first wedding anniversary, one son's communion and a holiday in NY. So I am trying to eat more sensibly and because I simply can't give up goodies, I needed a healthy cake. This delivers a moist, delicious loaf that just oozes goodness. It is even more gorgeous slathered in soy yogurt.


RECIPE
410 g can of prunes, pitted
120ml prune juice (the juice left in the can)
30ml tea
30ml brandy
50g brown sugar
1 portion of No Egg (or 1 beaten egg for non-vegans)
25 g melted vegan marg
255g wholegrain spelt flour
1tsp bread soda
1 tsp mixed spice

METHOD
- Pit the prunes, then soak them with the prune juice, sugar, brandy and tea in a bowl
- Preheat the oven to 160C
- Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin (ready-made liners are great and no greasing needed!)
- Add the NoEgg mix and melted marg to the fruit mix. Stir through.
- Fold in the flour, bread soda and spice
- Pour into the lined tin
- Bake for one hour, until a skewer comes out clean
- Cool in the tin for 10 mins then turn onto a wire rack

4 comments:

Hitchhiker42 said...

Not many people like prunes, but I think they are great. I can eat prunes like candy; the same goes for dates from California. Mmmm... love those dates. :)

WOMEN RULE WRITER said...

Wow. I had to drink prune juice when pregnant. I hated it. I called it 'torture juice'. But they are great in this cake, truly.

maria healy said...

Looking forward to trying out some recipes!

WOMEN RULE WRITER said...

Great, Maria. Let me know how you get on :)