They turned out great and are so quick and easy. They are like mildly spiced, pan-fried, fruit scones. Serve warm with butter and jam, or just butter.
225g plain flour
85g caster sugar
½ tsp mixed spice
½ tsp baking powder
100g butter, cut into small pieces, plus extra for frying
1 egg, beaten
- Mix the flour, sugar, mixed spice, baking powder and a pinch of salt in a bowl.
- Then, with your fingers, rub in the butter until crumbly.
- Mix in the currants/raisins.
- Work the egg into the mixture until you have soft dough, adding a splash of milk if it seems dry – it should be the same consistency as shortcrust pastry.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured work surface to the thickness of your little finger.
- Cut out rounds using a 6cm cutter, re-rolling any trimmings.
- Grease a pan and put over a medium heat.
- Cook the Welsh Cakes in batches, for about 3 mins each side, until golden brown, crisp and cooked through.