Sunday, October 31, 2010
Here's a really easy tea brack recipe, that I adapted and veganised from recipes from Mary in Café Fresh and Nigella too. The only odd thing is that you soak the fruit and sugar in the tea 'overnight'. A few hours will do it though, I find - a minimum of 4 hours.
You can wrap a ring in greaseproof paper and bake it in the centre of the cake. Traditionally, the person who finds the ring in their slice of brack will be the next to marry.
350g fruit (1/3 each of dates, sultanas, raisins)
125g brown sugar
1 portion of No Egg (or 1 beaten egg for non-vegans)
25 g melted vegan marg
255g wholegrain spelt flour
1tsp bread soad
1 tsp mixed spice
- Soak the fruit, sugar and tea in a bowl - leave overnight or for at least 4 hours
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin (ready-made liners are great and no greasing needed!)
- Add the NoEgg mix and melted marg to the fruit mix. Stir through.
- Fold in the flour, bread soda and spice
- Pour into the lined tin (insert wrapped ring at this point, if using)
- Bake for one hour, until a skewer comes out clean
- Cool in the tin for 10 mins then turn onto a wire rack.
- Lovely hot, cold or toasted with vegan marg.